Covert Scouting Cameras

Thread: How to Set Up Your Rifle for Accuracy Testing

How to Set Up Your Rifle for Accuracy Testing

Editor’s note: When it comes to testing the accuracy of your rifle, what exactly (what features and accessories) do you need to get the job done?

In the (NSFW) video above, GunsAmerica’s resident War Chief Clay Martin discusses how he runs his “system” to test a rifle’s accuracy.

For many of you seasoned shooters who have developed your own workable system over the years, Clay’s approach may conflict with your own. That’s okay. There is more than one way to skin this cat.

Yet for new shooters, hopefully, this video provides you with a sound tutorial on some of the considerations you will need to ponder before you head to the range. Sandbags or bipod? Precision rifle stock or basic adjustable stock? Iron sights or scope? Etc., etc.

Barrel, bedding (if applicable), and bullet. Top 3 components for consistant/accurate group shooting. That's just the mechanical (firearm) part. You need a good trigger, too. A solid bench, solid front rest and rear bag. Optics......don't necessarily make the firearm shoot any better, they just make it easier for the operator to see the target better. An optic (scope) with as close to zero parralex as possible is always good. Pretty much the rest is up to the operator. Trigger control, breathing, consistant cheek weld, sight picture, and so on.
    Hoyt - Daniel Defense - Ford Trucks - Harley Davidson - Jim Beam - Copenhagen. Life is good!

I'd bet all of my rifles are more accurate than I'm capable of shooting. No doubt, I am the weak link.
    What appears bad manners, an ill temper, or cynicism is always a sign of things no ears have heard, no eyes have seen. You do not know what wars are going on down there where the spirit meets the bone.

That is some thing that must be factored in for sure, human error

No doubt, you can never stop practicing but not much gets you ready for that moment when a big bucks shows up.
    Your heart starts pumping and you find it a bit harder to control your breathing.

I'd like to be able to practice enough that when that big buck steps into view, muscle memory takes over.
    What appears bad manners, an ill temper, or cynicism is always a sign of things no ears have heard, no eyes have seen. You do not know what wars are going on down there where the spirit meets the bone.

With firearm (usually my muzzle loader rifle since I really don't rifle hunt much other than that), I get ZERO 'buck fever' regardless of how big the buck is. On the other hand, when I'm out bow hunting (which is 99% of the time), I will get the ol' ticker pumping when I get a nice 150+" class buck comes within shooting distance. Anything smaller than that, bucks, does, etc., and I stay as cool as a cucumber. I have shot enough deer over the past 35 years where I don't even thing twice on passing on 135"-145" bucks. I take pictures now instead of running an arrow through them. But that's why I bow hunt. I love that rush that I just don't get with gun hunting whitetail deer.
    Hoyt - Daniel Defense - Ford Trucks - Harley Davidson - Jim Beam - Copenhagen. Life is good!

Bow hunting is more fun. Deer act much more natural then and luck plays less of a factor.

Put your time in scouting, hang your stand(s) in the right spots, pay attention to the wind, go into/out of the woods as quietly and scent free as possible, and you make your own 'luck' work for you!