333 Tournament Trail

Thread: Took my son to a rimfire shoot

Took my son to a rimfire shoot

My wife got an email from a local gun club about a rimfire shoot and suggested we go. I had no idea what it even was, I just assumed 22 plinking, so I took my bolt and my sons single shot. Turns out, it was a timed and scored event where you had to hit five steel plates in different order based on the set up, as fast as possible. It was handgun and rifle event and everyone had semi autos or revolvers. So, I realized that he and I couldn't hope to compete based on the actions of our firearms. But one guy (obviously a veteran of these things and an officer in the club) offered to let my son shoot his handguns. This dude had three target hand guns (two that looked like oversized Lugers with different sights on them and a 22 revolver that looked to be built on a .357 or .44 mag frame (that one was my sons personal favorite). This guy came prepared to shoot for good scores, with a bunch of preloaded mags and three different pistols, but once he let my son shoot and saw his interest, he didn't even bother shooting himself. He shot maybe a dozen times himself and allowed my son over 100 shots until my boy was ringing them plates regularly. I was completely impressed that when a kid showed up, this guy completely quit worrying about his own score in order to turn a kid on to target shooting. The club is kind of expensive, but I might join anyway, just based on how the members treated my son. Other guys let him try their 10-.22s and the hand gun guy let him shoot a groundhog with his own rifle. Very cool. These people understand that shooting isn't about the old men but the kids. The people at this gun club are exactly what liberals NEVER talk about when they cry for gun control. Kind, generous with their time and their firearms. They are the type of people that cause kids to fall in love with shooting.
    What appears bad manners, an ill temper, or cynicism is always a sign of things no ears have heard, no eyes have seen. You do not know what wars are going on down there where the spirit meets the bone.

Oh great, another adult teaching a kid how to kill with a firearm....I can hear it all now.

Seriously, good for him and good for you getting your son into the fun of shooting sports. Looks like you're about to drop some coin on a new rifle for your son! The real beauty about rimfire is that you really don't need to spend a whole lot of money on super accurate firearms, or expensive ammo to have fun all day long.
    Hoyt - Daniel Defense - Ford Trucks - Harley Davidson - Jim Beam - Copenhagen. Life is good!

No doubt, there is nothing like a 22 rifle, that is what I started with.

When I was a kid I started off with pop guns, then cap guns, then BB guns, then pellet rifles and rim fire. Couldn't wait to get my first center fire rifle. Now, I have more fun back to shooting rim fire and pellet rifles! Funny how that works.
    Hoyt - Daniel Defense - Ford Trucks - Harley Davidson - Jim Beam - Copenhagen. Life is good!

Quote Originally Posted by Bad 2 The Bone View Post
    Oh great, another adult teaching a kid how to kill with a firearm....I can hear it all now.

Seriously, good for him and good for you getting your son into the fun of shooting sports. Looks like you're about to drop some coin on a new rifle for your son! The real beauty about rimfire is that you really don't need to spend a whole lot of money on super accurate firearms, or expensive ammo to have fun all day long.
    This is some of the crap I got from liberal friends and relatives. I was not surprised.
    What appears bad manners, an ill temper, or cynicism is always a sign of things no ears have heard, no eyes have seen. You do not know what wars are going on down there where the spirit meets the bone.