Covert Scouting Cameras

Thread: Big jon downriggers

Big jon downriggers

Just curious, what is heaviest downrigger weight you can/should run on a standard big jon electric downrigger? I currently run 10 pound with no problem, but when I need to fish below 100 down I was thinking about putting on a 12 pound ball. I have heard you should not run anything larger than a 12 pound ball on big jon electric riggers.

Personally I would buy from Magnum Metalz, they are by far the best riggers you can buy and will handle 15 pounds with no problem.
    When you start fishing deeper you need a heavier ball or the blow back will have it 20 feet behind your boat. Below is the website, they are
    very reasonable in price and the quality is outstanding.

http://www.magnum-metalz.com/downriggers-1/

Well thanks for the rigger recommendation. I personally will not be buying anything to pricey until I know that we are out of the woods with our bait/salmon shortage. It seemed that last year things had gotten a bit better. Hope for a mild winter although it is not looking good right now up here in Frankfort Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by Trina rose View Post
    Well thanks for the rigger recommendation. I personally will not be buying anything to pricey until I know that we are out of the woods with our bait/salmon shortage. It seemed that last year things had gotten a bit better. Hope for a mild winter although it is not looking good right now up here in Frankfort Michigan.
    People have been saying that for years and after 2016 I know a few who even sold their boats. Turned out 2017 was pretty good and bait fish were every where.