333 Tournament Trail
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Pistola!

Got the new spring the other day from EGW. This one works as it should. Apparently, the first one I got had 13 coils and it needed 16, which is what this one has. Now the slide is as smooth as butter. I added an extended thumb release, too, and a Blackhawk 'Yaqui' holster for EDC.

20180211_163643.jpg
    20180211_163700.jpg
    20180211_163730.jpg
    20180205_194824.jpg
    Hoyt - Daniel Defense - Ford Trucks - Harley Davidson - Jim Beam - Copenhagen. Life is good!

You turned it into a sweet machine

Thanks. I'm thinking of adding an extended mag release next. Oh yeah, I replaced the factory slotted grip screws with button head Allen screws, too. I'm not ral keen about carrying a $1200.00-$2000.00+ pistol for EDC. First, they tend to get beat-up a little from use, and, IF I do need to deploy it, I don't need an ultra expensive pistol in a police evidence room somewhere for God knows how long getting thrown around. Believe me, I've seen it happen more than a few times..... I much rather like to take a quality built 'basic' pistol and add what I personally like on it.
    Last edited by Bad 2 The Bone; 02-13-2018 at 10:18 AM.
    Hoyt - Daniel Defense - Ford Trucks - Harley Davidson - Jim Beam - Copenhagen. Life is good!

Got the Wilson extended magazine release installed. It's much easier to manipulate now especially with my short stubby thumb. Now I'm just waiting on the Ed Brown 26 lpi checkered main spring housing to show up and I'll be done with the upgrades.

20180224_164036.jpg20180224_164145.jpg
    Last edited by Bad 2 The Bone; 02-25-2018 at 05:20 AM.

Are you comfortable with that safety on and the hammer back, while you are carrying it? I assume that is the normal, walking around position.
    What appears bad manners, an ill temper, or cynicism is always a sign of things no ears have heard, no eyes have seen. You do not know what wars are going on down there where the spirit meets the bone.

Quote Originally Posted by Danesdad View Post
    Are you comfortable with that safety on and the hammer back, while you are carrying it? I assume that is the normal, walking around position.
    Absolutely 100%. That is known as 'Condition One', aka; 'Cocked and Locked'. That is THE PROPER was to carry a SAO (single action only) 1911 pistol. All that needs to be done to fire the pistol is to engage the grip safety (which is done as you grip the pistol), and then disengage the thumb safety. That being said, the 'Series 80' model 1911's have a firing pin block safety, as do most all modern day pistols. The firing pin block safety only disengages when the trigger is pulled. If, for some reason, the hammer dropped on the firing pin without the trigger being pulled, (or, if you have a Striker fired pistol), the firing pin (or Striker) would not be able to contact the primer because the firing pin block safety would stop it. Now, the older 'Series 70' 1911's did not have a firing pin block safety. So, if the hammer dropped even without the trigger being pulled.....BANG! The 'Series 80's' are much safer to carry 'Cocked and Locked'. Most competition 1911 shooters prefer the Series 70 models over the Series 80's because the trigger pull on the Series 70's are a bit 'cleaner' because the trigger doesn't have to actuate the parts that disengage the firing pin safety block. By the way, if you just happen to see someone carrying a 1911, don't be 'That guy' and say; "Excuse me, but did you know your gun is cocked."

hqdefault_LI (2).jpg
    Last edited by Bad 2 The Bone; 02-25-2018 at 01:44 PM.

Got my new Ed Brown 25 lpi checkered main spring housing from Brownell's today. It took about all of 10 minutes to install. What a difference! Now the grip is much better then with that plastic main spring housing that comes from the factory. I think I'm done with this project. On to the next one.......

20180306_145738.jpg20180306_145725.jpg

The reason I asked is that my Sig p938 is like that (cocked and locked) but I don't know if I can trust that. I know you have the same pistol. Do you walk around with that one "cocked and locked"?

I love the Colt wooden grips BTW.
    What appears bad manners, an ill temper, or cynicism is always a sign of things no ears have heard, no eyes have seen. You do not know what wars are going on down there where the spirit meets the bone.

You can trust that, too. It has the same firing pin block as the Series 80 1911 do. It won't go 'BANG' unless the trigger is pulled completely to the rear.

Thanks. The grips are what actually caught my eye in the first place. When I completely disassembled it, I saw on the back of each grip panel that they were made by VZ! They're Black Cherry Wood grips. The pistol shoots just fine but I kept getting brass kicked back into my forehead, or above the eyes every 4 or fifth shot or so. I had to tune the extractor a little and hit the ejector with a small jewelers file and put a little 45* on the right front of it. Now everything is Muy Bueno!

excellent.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast