333 Tournament Trail

Thread: New stock for 10-22

New stock for 10-22

After running a Bell & Carlson 'Classic Style' synthetic stock on my custom built Ruger 10-22, I decided to try out the new MagPul X-22 stock. After doing some research on them, the thing that really swayed my decision to try one was the fact that Tony Kidd (coolgunguys.com), who started out making great triggers for the 10-22 and now makes complete rifle and other accessories, is using the X-22 stock for his custom builds. Soooooo, I figure if they're good enough for Kidd rifles they must be good. The stock itself is all synthetic and pretty darn solid. It has adjustable LOP by use of (supplied) spacers, and available stock cheek risers. The stock itself accepts all MagPul M-Lok accessories. There is a 'tray' along the inside of the fore end that can be flipped 180* to accept either stock barrels, or, .920 heavy barrels. Anyway, I installed it yesterday. Easy enough job. I did paint the barrel tray flat black just for appearance purposes, but that was it. The complete action slipped right in nice and snug. The barrel is completely free-floated. What better way to spend Easter Sunday then to check the zero, right? Weather wasn't too bad today, slight 5-7 breeze from the s/w, a little overcast, and about 40-45* out. Set up my bench, targets, etc., and just ran some CCI Mini Mags (none of my good match ammo). Surprising enough, the rifle was dead-nuts on at 25 to 62 yards! I like it!!

BEFORE
    20170625_132340.jpg

AFTER

20180401_145659.jpg
    20180331_152404.jpg
    20180331_151613.jpg
    Hoyt - Daniel Defense - Ford Trucks - Harley Davidson - Jim Beam - Copenhagen. Life is good!

5 shots at a 1" orange sticker at 40 yards using CCI Mini Mag HP's

20180401_165919.jpg20180402_154420.jpg
    Last edited by Bad 2 The Bone; 04-02-2018 at 02:51 PM.
    Hoyt - Daniel Defense - Ford Trucks - Harley Davidson - Jim Beam - Copenhagen. Life is good!

That's shooting. How accurate is this rifle right out of the box without the mods?
    What appears bad manners, an ill temper, or cynicism is always a sign of things no ears have heard, no eyes have seen. You do not know what wars are going on down there where the spirit meets the bone.

Quote Originally Posted by Danesdad View Post
    That's shooting. How accurate is this rifle right out of the box without the mods?
    There's several different models of Ruger 10-22 rimfire rifles in .22lr. so it really depends on what rifle you get and how lucky you get. A buddy of mine recently picked up a Ruger 'Precision' .22lr rimfire rifle (bolt-action). Using some decent match grade ammo and scope he can get sub 1.5" groups at 100 yds. With a basic 'out-of-the-box' model 10-22 you'd be lucky to get 2" groups at 50 yds. My particular rifle has all after market parts on it (other than the upper) that account for it's excellent accuracy.

18" Green Mountain blue/fluted .920 barrel (hand lapped and free-floated)
    Adjustable V-Block
    Volquartson Competition Bolt Group (including recoil spring & guide)
    Volquartson TG-2000 Competition Trigger Group
    TacSol Scope Rail
    Burris 1" Signature Scope Rings
    Hand Polished Receiver (internal)
    Volquartsen Recoil Buffer
    Mueller 4.5-14 x 44 AO Scope
    MagPul X-22 Stock

20160706_160204.jpg

My rifle shoots most .22LR ammo decently but really seems to like the Wolf MT and/or Match Extra, and Eley Tennex.

DSCF2428_zpsmafblmqu.jpg
    Last edited by Bad 2 The Bone; 04-03-2018 at 07:54 AM.

That is some fine shooting, sweet little gun